Layer the Walls (virtual)Available April 15 through May 15
Layer the Walls began as a live theater piece that explores stories of a tenement apartment in New York City that was once home to hundreds of new immigrants. Shadow and Bunraku puppetry, along with masks bring to life the stories of Irish, Italian and Jewish families. These compelling stories have shaped the America we know today.
We’re excited to go Beyond the Walls to offer a virtual edition that includes an introduction to the tenements, a performance of one of the stories in Layer the Walls, and Q&A where the artists answer questions typically received on tour. Included are workshops that highlight the artistry seen in the performance. Young people are guided with step by step instructions to get up on their feet and be creative.
Performance Excerpt Episodes: These episodes include an introduction to the tenements, a performance of one of the stories in Layer the Walls, and Q&A where the artists answer questions typically received on tour.
- Jimmy’s Story: Irish Immigrant Jimmy Mckenna conquers his fears while building the Brooklyn Bridge. (27 minutes)
- Marco & Lorenzo’s Story: Marco battles the Great Blizzard of 1888 and becomes a Sicilian American. (33 minutes)
- Goldine’s Story: When word of a possible strike takes hold of the garment factory, Goldine Zuckerman, a Jewish immigrant, must decide if she will join the fight. (28 minutes)
Workshop Episodes We highlight the artistry seen in the performance. Young people are guided with step by step instructions to get up on their feet and be creative.
- Bunraku: Students learn how to make and operate a Bunraku style puppet (like Jimmy McKenna). (23 minutes)
- Tenement Life: Students learn basic mime techniques and then explore a tenement apartment using their new mime skills. Through the activities students gain a detailed understanding of what daily life was like in the tenements. (19 minutes)
- Mask : Students make three different theatrical mask styles (similar to what Marco and Lorenzo wear) and then learn how to perform with theatrical masks. (30 minutes)
Note that our market is limited contractually to NY’s Hudson Valley.
Made possible in part through the generous support of the Ulster Savings Bank Charitable Foundation and The Cornelia T. Bailey Foundation.
Date & Time
Saturday, May 15 2021
Virtual - must have reservation
Available for FREE!
April 15 – May 15
must have reservation